Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lemon Pie is better with Sugar!!!

Well I tried to make it with out sugar. First I tried to make it with raw Stevia and a thickener called Konjac glucomannan. YUCK it was horrible. Then I tried it with just the Stevia and corn starch recipe. It thickened very nicely and had a very creamy texture but did leave an after taste similar to Splenda. The meringue was beautiful all fluffy but it too needed the sugar. So I have decided that when baking sugar is better. I have used Splenda for cookies and they were fine. but with lemon pie it is mostly sugar. What does that mean for me? Well I don't believe I am strong enough to not eat the pie if I bake it so baking for me will be very limited. A special occasion like the holidays or birthdays only. I could probably get out of baking all together since my youngest loves to bake. I will let him be THE BAKER. He is learning so sometimes it doesn't always turn out. His last cookie recipe he put in 1/2 cup of baking soda instead of 1/2 teaspoon. He caught it before he baked but they were still pretty awful. He's only 10.
Something to take note of. While baking the pies I did taste them to check the difference and I now have a headache. I'm watching tv and tearing up too. Could be that I haven't had sugar since Monday or it could be the sugar that I tasted today. Either way I am noticing the effects that sugar or lack there of does effect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment